News & Updates at the PBA
- No crop left behind: Improving the plants that Africans eat and breeders Read more @ TheEconomist.com
- Promoting neglected and underutilized crops: FAO & African Orphan Crops Consortium try to safeguard valuable food resources Read More
- Enoch Achigan Dako (UAC) and Julia Sibiya (PROTA), alumnae of the University of California’s African Plant Breeding Academy, discuss establishment of African Plant Breeding Association View VIDEO
- In the September issue of Germination, SBC Education Director Rale Gjuric discussed the continued and valuable role of modern plant breeders. Read article online @ Germination.ca
- Along with insights from SBC Director Kent Bradford, UC Davis Plant Breeding Academy graduates Curtis Van Laecke and Evan Gillis discuss in September's issue of Germination their individual educational and professional paths that led them to plant breeding. Read article online @ Germination.ca
- SBC Director of Research Allen Van Deynze serves as Scientific Director for the African Orphan Crops consortium (AOCC), a primary partner of the UC Davis Plant Breeding Academy. The AOCC was featured in BBC News video "Can these super-crops feed Africa?"
- Ever Wonder Why Cantaloupes Don't Smell Like They Used To? Learn the answer!
- The Seed Biotechnology Center releases 2016 Annual Report
- Wal-Mart and Bayer team up to create Sweet Spark", a designer cantaloupe
- ILLUMINA DONATES POWERFUL SEQUENCER TO AOCC, allowing the completion of the AOCC's 101 crop sequencing project.
- SBC Plant Breeding Academy congratulates Dr. David Stelly, a long term PBA lecturer and contributor, on the 2017 International Cotton Advisory Committee Researcher of the Year Award.
- Published in CAST and co-authored by PBA Instructor Rita Mumm Plant Breeding and Genetics: A paper in the series on The Need for Agricultural Innovation to Sustainably Feed the World by 2050 offers good a summarization of plant breeding for the future.
- African Orphan Crops Consortium (AOCC)'s large-scale sequencing of African orphan crops highlighted in Science article Sequencing all life captivates biologists.
- Rob Dirks joins European PBA as an instructor, Class V open for registration
- The first public genome sequence for Coffea arabica has been released by UC Davis researchers, including SBC Director of Research Allen Van Deynze.
- SBC Director of Research, Allen Van Deynze, receives the Public Plant Breeding Award from the National Council of Commercial Plant Breeders.
- Seed World-Giant Views reports on PBA in news story, Continuing Education Sparks Innovation.
- Advancements in Plant Breeding and Experimental Design course completed
- 2016 UC Davis Program Management for Plant Breeders Completed
- SBC Director of Research, Allen Van Deynze, is a part of the team working to change lives and improve communities in Africa through the Agricultural Greater Good Initiative.
- A high-quality carrot genome assembly provides new insights into carotenoid accumulation and asterid genome evolution
- The Davis Plant Breeding Academy graduates its fifth class and SBC hosts our ten-year anniversary celebration
- Carrot Genome Might Help Improve Crops
- SBC Director of Research, Allen Van Deynze and a team of researchers succeed at identifying the full genetic code of the carrot to help improve crops
- UC Global Food Initiative and SBC Plant Breeding students create video, "What is Plant Breeding?"
- A Bunch of Big Names are Trying to Save Africa’s Orphan Crops—Here’s Why That Matters
- An Ambitious Genome Sequencing Project Is Tackling Africa's Nutrition Crisis
- Forgotten Crops May Hold Key to Nutritional Security
- SBC Director/Professor Kent Bradford and Adjunct Professor Gurdev Khush are among Seed World magazine’s picks for its list of the 100 most transformational men and women in the seed industry in the last 100 years
- Dr. Gurdev Khush, UC Davis Alumnus and Adjunct Professor is honored at the Plant Breeding for Food Security Symposium
- LGC and the African Orphan Crop Consortium (AOCC) expand co-operation to accelerate Marker-Assisted Selection
- This crop is not an orphan anymore: it now has a home
- African Plant Breeding Academy - Call for applicants
- New African plant breeders to improve 'orphan' crops
- Plant breeders build capacity to resuscitate African orphan crops
April 16, 2014
July 1, 2013 Press Release: European Plant Breeding II Graduates
June 10, 2013 Press Release: National Association of Plant Breeders Awards - 2013
June 10, 2013 Press Release: National Association of Plant Breeders Honors Graduate Students
April 9, 2013 Press Release: UC Davis Plant Breeding Academy in Asia Completes Second Week
November 29, 2012 Press Release: PBA in Asia Completes First Week
September 10, 2012 Press Release: Meet Class IV of the Plant Breeding Academy
June 11, 2012 Press Release: 15 New Plant Breeders complete the UC Davis Plant Breeding Academy
February 13, 2012 Press Release: UC Davis Plant Breeding AcademySM – a Premium Professional Certificate Program for Plant Breeders
December 6, 2011 Press Release: Rita Mumm joins PBA as lead instructor
November 15, 2011 Press Release: Recent UC Davis Publications Detail Education and Training Needs for Future Plant Breeders
October 2011 Press Release AIB Tomerius and UC Davis Plant Breeding Academy
October 2011 Press Release: UC Davis European Plant Breeding Academy Starts Second Class
July 2011 Press Release: Bayer CropScience Announces Scholarship for European Plant Breeding Academy
Mar 2011 Press Release: Plant Breeding Academy has a Big Impact on Career Development
Jan 2011 Article: Educating Plant Breeders to Meet Global Need
Dec 2010 Press Release: BreedWise reaches milestone in plant breeding education - Over 2000 students trained
Oct 2010 Press Release: Plant Breeding Academy in Seed Valley - The Netherlands
Sept 2010 Article: Plant breeding: A dying breed
July 2010 Video: PBA Class II share the value of their experiences (wmv)
June 2010 Press Release: 21 New Plant Breeders complete the UC Davis PBA
May 2010 Article: Plant breeding education is a group effort (pdf)
May 2010 Article: UC Davis creates cradle for new breeders (pdf)
April 2010 Press Release: Rale Gjuric is appointed as Director of the Plant Breeding Academy
April 2010 Interview: Dr. Allen Van Deynze - Breeding with Molecular Markers
April 2010 Press Release: New UC Davis study pinpoints the training needs for future plant breeders
March 2010 Press Release: Plant Breeding Academy for Europe Begins at UC Davis
Sept 2008 Press Release: Academy aims to train global cadre of plant breeders
Jan 2006 Article: Academic training of plant breeders no longer meets demand (pdf)